Instituto Superior Técnico (https://tecnico.ulisboa.pt/pt/ ) invites applications for the position of ERA Chair Holder (https://ec.europa.eu/programmes/horizon2020/en/h2020-section/era-chairs ) to begin in early 2021. This position is a research track, a career-oriented appointment for a dedicated, passionate thought leader in Computer Science or Design Informatics with expertise in Blockchain and Distributed Ledger Technologies. IST is looking for a world-class researcher with industry experience who can expand the research and innovation potential of the institute in its mission to become a leading research institution in the European Research Area through the BIG EU-funded project.
This prestigious grant involves a total budget of over 2M€ for a period of five years including:
- Initial faculty appointment, with the possibility of opening a shortened tenure clock
- Competitive salary commensurate with qualification and experience
- Salary for hiring three full-time researchers at assistant or associate levels and three staff positions (project manager, TTDO, and a lab engineer)
- Generous startup package for lab equipment and exchange of know-how with potential EU partners
Instituto Superior Técnico is the largest school of Engineering, Science, Technology and Architecture in Portugal, involving a community of over 10,000 people. It is located in Lisbon, a city that has been influenced by many different far-off cultures over time but kept the village feel in each historic neighborhood.
Instituto Superior Técnico aims to contribute to the development of society and promoting and sharing excellence in higher education in the fields of Architecture, Engineering, Science, and Technology. Técnico offers Bachelor, Master, and Ph.D. programs, lifelong training and develops Research, Development, and Innovation activities, which are essential to provide an education based on the top international standards.
The ERA Chair Holder will continue Técnico’s tradition of interdisciplinary Engineering research and Design Innovation for social Good while strengthening innovation and knowledge transfer activities in close collaboration with local and global industrial partners and contributing to the smart specialization strategy of the Lisbon Region in stimulating the up-and-coming ecosystem of digital startups and their economic impact.
The new ERA Chair Holder will become an integral part of Técnico’s community in close collaboration with its two research institutes (ITI / LARSyS and INESC-ID).
It is expected that the ERA Chair Holder becomes capable of driving structural changes in the school and promotes the free exchange of knowledge and people across the partner network.
Técnico is known for its educational and research prestige, integrating more than 60 different nationalities in its community of more than 10,500 students. The new ERA Chair Holder must be a pragmatic visionary looking for a challenge and willing to join our culture, working as a team to foster a rich, supportive interdisciplinary environment where top people pursue socially relevant high-impact results.
Applicants for the ERA Chair Holder position must have a Ph.D. in Computer Science and Engineering, Design Informatics, or a related field, with a strong research track record in Blockchain and Distributed Ledger Systems. Preference will be given to candidates with industry experience in Blockchain and Distributed Ledger Systems and the creative sectors and who are excited by the potential opportunities resulting from increasing the visibility and profile of IST.
- Scientific leadership and development of IST, ITI / LARSyS, and INESC-ID in collaboration with the existing structure.
- Successful submission and coordination of Horizon 2020 funded projects.
- Communication and dissemination of scientific activities.
- Technology transfer and interaction with industrial partners including startups and entrepreneurship
- Proven track record and high-quality scientific publications in relevant areas for the chair, including computer science, human-computer interaction, blockchain, and distributed ledger technologies
- Proven track record in securing significant research funding and experience in managing research projects and labs
- Significant international experience and network
- The ERA Chair Holder should have a track record in scientific excellence and demonstrate competence and experience to lead and manage research teams and secure competitive research funding according to the criteria of R3 or R4 levels as defined by the European Framework for Research Careers. In particular, the profile of the ERA Chair Holder should match the criteria of the R3 (Established Researcher) or R4 (Leading Researcher) levels as defined by the European Framework for Research Careers.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science and Engineering, Design Informatics or a related field
- Initial faculty appointment of up to 5 years, with the possibility of opening a shortened tenure clock
- Competitive salary commensurate with qualification and experience
- Salary for hiring three full-time researchers at the assistant or associate levels and three staff positions (project manager, TTDO, and lab engineer)
- Startup package for lab equipment of 48K€ and exchange of know-how with potential EU partners of 200K€
Personal and organizational skills:
- Team management
- Ability to establish and maintain international contacts.
- Personal Organization and good time management.
- Good relationships with partners and good negotiation skills.
- The initial selection of the candidates will be performed by the ERA Chair Search Committee based on the evaluation of the curriculum vitae and research statement.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a visit and research talk at IST.
Documents to submit:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Research statement describing how the candidate foresees his impact on the future of IST and the research units ITI / LARSyS and INESC-ID.
Possible candidates should send to firstname.lastname@example.org a zip file containing these materials.
on Behalf of the ERA Chair Search Committee:
Prof. Nuno Nunes, Instituto Superior Técnico, ITI /LARSyS
Prof. Rodrigo Rodrigues, Instituto Superior Técnico, INESC-ID
Prof. Sonia Mokhtar, Centre national de la recherche scientifique
Prof. Rachid Guerraoui, École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne
Prof. Srini Devadas, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Prof. Donatella Sciuto, Politecnico di Milano
Prof. Chris Speed, University of Edinburgh
Prof. Jodi Forlizzi, Carnegie Mellon University
Dr. Neha Narula, Digital Currency Initiative/ MIT
Dr. Miguel Castro, Microsoft Research
Disclaimer: Please note that the application documents will be sent to the European Commission for monitoring purposes. They will be treated in a strictly confidential manner and will be destroyed after the monitoring exercise.
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement no 952226.